. . .
  • 7545 East 34 Rd. Cadillac, MI 49601
  • 231-775-7561
  • 7545 East 34 Rd. Cadillac, MI 49601
  • 231-775-7561



1. Are You Ready To Provide A Safe, Decent, Affordable Home For Your Family?

  • Are you unable to obtain a conventional home loan?
  • Is your current home overpriced, overcrowded or in disrepair?
  • Are you willing to help us build your new home?
  • Are you able to make monthly mortgage and escrow payments?
  • Have you lived or worked in Wexford County for a least one year?
  • Do you meet the income limits listed?


*Income levels are set annually by US Department of Housing & Urban Development and are 40-70% of the median income. (Note: Minimum income limits have been adjusted to reflect the income required to afford the mortgage payment for the house size required for the family size.) *FY 2017 income limits summary—HUD

  • All family member income is included in the calculation of a family’s total gross income.
  • Income from all wages, SSI, SSDI, housing assistance, retirement, alimony, VA benefits, child support, etc. are included.
  • The guidelines are annual (to convert monthly income to annual multiply amount by 12).
  • Income guidelines are listed by family size.


2. There Must Be A Demonstrated Need In Order To Qualify For A Habitat Home

Need is determined by a family’s current living conditions. Some examples of need are outlined below (this list is not all-inclusive).

Structural/mechanical problems in building (Visible holes or large cracks, Leaks, hazardous/toxic materials, Electrical problems, Plumbing problems, Appliances not working)

Inadequate sleeping arrangements (More than 2 persons share a room, Different gendered children sharing a room, Persons having to sleep on the floor)

Unsanitary conditions or health risks (Bugs, Rodents, Sewage problems, Stairway in disrepair, Allergy concerns)

Temporary or transitional housing (Family currently living with relatives, Family in emergency shelter, Homelessness)

Current housing does not meet the physical needs

Unable to obtain a conventional mortgage


3. Ability to pay is determined by information collected during application process.

Information on the paper application, pay stubs, benefit statements, previously filed federal tax returns, and credit reports are examples of the resources used to determine this ability.



  • a steady, reliable source of income and demonstrate financial responsibility
  • the ability to pay a monthly house payment at approximately 25% of gross monthly income (taxes and insurance included)
  • the ability to pay projected monthly utilities (electric/gas & water/sewer)
  • NOT have filed for bankruptcy within the past 2 years
  • NOT have outstanding collections, liens or judgments that cannot reasonably be paid by the completion of the home build


4. Partner family must be willing to complete “sweat-equity” hours.

Sweat-equity” is when a partner family takes part in building their own home and other Habitat homes and may include activities such as clearing the lot, painting, helping with construction, working in the Habitat office, or other approved activities.

  • A two-adult household is required to perform a minimum of 450 hours.
  • A single-adult family is required to complete 300 hours.
  • A portion of the sweat equity hours can be completed by family and friends.
  • All of the hours must be completed before the partner family can purchase the home.

*In addition, the partner family must also be willing to attend home buyer education classes.


5. Applicants must provide proof of residency & eligibility to work in the US.

One of the following documents is accepted as proof of both residency and eligibility:

  • US Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign Passport with temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document with a Photo ID (Form I-766)
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport with Form I-94
  • Passport from Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of the Marshall Islands with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.


If one of the above cannot be provided, one document from each category below is required:

Category 1 Category 2
·         Driver’s License

·         Federal, State, or Local Government ID Card

·         Voter’s Registration Card

·         School ID card with a photograph

·         Native American tribal document

·         U.S. Military identification card/ Military Dependents ID card

·         U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

·         Canadian Driver’s License

·         Social Security Card

·         U.S. Birth Certificate

·         Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545)

·         US Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)

·         Resident Citizen ID Card (Form I-179)

·         Unexpired Employment Authorization by Dept. of Homeland Security

·         Native American tribal document

·         Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350)

·         Native American Tribal document

·         Employment Authorization document issued by the Dept. of Homeland Security